Tuesday 21 December 2010

Christmas Star - "Celestial" for The Altered Element

Welcome to what is going to be my last project for The Altered Element Design Team.


I used the smaller of the 2 wooden stars, these come flatpacked and you can just slide them together. I glued the pieces into place with glossy accents.
Then I painted the whole star with a gold acrylic paint as a base and when that was dry I simply melted a layer of gold UTEE onto each section. I used PVA glue to adhere the UTEE, works very well for large sections like this. The UTEE came out smooth in some parts and more textured in others but that just adds to the character.


I had this thin gold wire lying around for ages and thought this be the prefect opportunity to use it. So I wrapped it round the star randomly. It's not glued (only the ends), it just holds itself in place around the shape of the star.



The charms are all from Vintaj brass. I used the gold wire again and some golden jumprings to attach these to the bottom. I just drilled some small holes in the star to attach them.
And there you got it, a shiny, shimmery, twinkly christmas star ready to hang.
Another great idea for using these wooden stars would be to make a star topper for your christmas tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment